Lack of communication is a big no-no. Having clear communication channels with your client’s ensures that both parties are heading in the right direction.
Here are some top tips to keeping in contact…
- Make it very clear what your intentions are in the email; clarity is key to communication.
- Always summarise and reiterate what a client is looking for.
- Triple check spelling; especially when it comes to names/subject.
- Communicate in a professional manner, but do not shy away from expressing your excitement on projects and work.
- A lot of clients are comfortable speaking over the phone, it adds a more human element and the clients are more likely to express their true opinions in this form of communication.
- Phone calls are for less formal/time constrained situations — emails give you important information that is written in text that we can refer back to.
- If the client has made a lot of points, it can be very helpful to send them a summarised email of the conversation via email after the conversation
So let’s be sensible when sending emails or answering the phone; make it so that your granny could understand you. You never know, she might be your next client…
Next week we will be looking going the extra mile, adding that cherry on top design sundae.
Reiss, Designer & Director of Client Happiness.